Amanda Halter, M.A.
Research Associate in American Studies, FSU Jena
PhD Candidate in American Studies, FSU Jena
Working Title: The Young Adult Novel and Ecoliteracy in the Anthropocene
|since 2019||Adjunct Lecturer in American Studies, FSU Jena|
Leave Replacement: Research Associate in American Studies, FSU Jena
|2016-2018||Student Assistant for Editorial Work, Institute of Social Geography, FSU Jena|
|2016-2017||Student Assistant, Institute of English and American Studies, FSU Jena|
M.A. English and American Studies, FSU Jena
“The EcoBildungsroman: Coming of Age in Narratives of Ecological Crisis”
English Language Arts Teacher, Bronx Prep Middle School, Bronx, New York, USA
B.S. Adolescent English Education, Nyack College, Nyack, New York, USA
|2009-2011||A.A. General Studies, Laramie County Community College, Cheyenne, Wyoming, USA|
Highschool Diploma, East High School, Cheyenne, Wyoming, USA
- Editorial Work
- Felgenhauer, Tilo and Karsten Gaebler, eds. Geographies of Digital Culture. Abingdon: Routledge, 2018.
- Gruber, Eva and Caroline Rosenthal, eds. Gained Ground: Perspectives on Canadian and Comparative North American Studies. Rochester: Camden House, 2018.
- Talks & Guest Lectures
- “At the Center of the Storm: A Critical Analysis of Adolescence in Young Adult Eco-Fiction.” Workshop on Constructions of Adolescence, Hosted by Technische Universität Dresden, virtual, 16.07.2021.
- “Crises, Chasms, and Unlikely Collectives: Growing Up in Contemporary Young Adult Eco-Dystopian Fiction.” International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts: Climate Change and the Anthropocene, virtual, 20.03.2021.
- “’Maybe it was the end of the world- that world’: An Examination of Hope in Young Adult Eco-Dystopian Fiction of the Anthropocene.” 31st Annual Mardi Gras Graduate Student Conference: Uncertain Futures: Exploring Ambiguities, Hopes and Anxieties, Louisiana State University, virtual, 10.02.2021.
- “Ecocriticism and Young Adult Literature: Texts as Expressive Agents for Change.” Guest Lecture, Nature Writing and Ecocriticism Lecture Series, Friedrich Schiller University of Jena, 21.01.2021.
- "The Bildungsroman in the Anthropocene: Reading Narratives of Formation in the New Epoch." Regional Colloquium of American Studies. 25.10.2019, Halle, DE.
- Research Interests
- Children’s and Young Adult Literature
- The Anthropocene in Literature and Culture
- Adaptation Studies: Film, Literature, and Popular Culture
- Literature Between the Wars and The Lost Generation
Affiliations, Memberships, and Academic Networks
- Children's Literature Association (ChLA)
- Ecocriticism Research Collective, Institute of American Studies, FSU Jena
- German Association of American Studies (DGfA/GAAS)
- Young Adult Studies Association (YASA)
- Introduction to Literary Studies II (SoSe22, WiSe 21/22)
- Wild Things: Children's Culture and Ecocriticism (SS 2021)
- Young Adult Literature (WS 2020/21)
- Gatsby(s) on the Silver Screen (WS 2020/21)
- Revisions of the Bildungsroman in Anglophone Literature and Culture (WS 2019/20)
- The Lost Generation (WS 2018/2019)
- The American Bildungsroman (SS 2018)
"E10: (Re)reading Little Women for the Holiday Season" with Stefanie Schaefer, LadyFiction Podcast, The Trans-Atlanticist, 16.12.2021.